Monday 24 August 2009

Reply from Alex Lin

I was lucky enough to recieve and email back from Alex Lin quite quickly and he was very kind enough to answer my questions :

Hi Michele,
I'd be delighted to answer your questions.

What made you initially passionate about design?
I took an elective in graphic design during my first year in college at the university of the arts. It was to design a John Coltrane album cover, I enjoyed it so much that I decided to change my major from illustration to graphic design. Creating something through hard work and thought keeps me passionate about design.


What designers influence you in your own work?
-Stephen Burks (http://www.readymadeprojects.com/) for his keen eye for what is modern and fresh
-Made Thought (http://www.madethought.com/) for their incredible attention to detail and exquisite taste
-OMA (http://oma.nl/) for their concept and program based architecture


What design book do you often look at, or is your favourite?
"Ogilvy on Advertising"


How many designers work at your agency?
just me with 1-2 interns or design assistants at times

Also. Living in England it is extremely hard to get a job in the design industry as there are a lot of students graduating from University who all want the same job. Is this the same in America?
YES! Many many talented graduates lacking in experience...

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you,

Michele McKee


I then replied back to Alex to see if it would be possible to meet for a portfolio viewing once we get to New York he replied to say this would be fine and to let him know nearer the time!

No comments: