Wednesday 14 April 2010

True North

As part of my research for my issues and practices essay I had emailed Ady from True North a set of questions about life after graduation.

Email to Ady:

        

        Dear Ady
My name is Michele McKee, I am currently in my final year of Graphic design, studying at Stockport College. 

My main attraction towards your agency is your ability to be thoughtful towards the design process, I really liked the attention to detail especially in the work for Apg visual colour, I thought it worked extremely well producing black and white posters in a bid to attract the viewer rather than producing lavish style posters, it was a clever idea. How long do you normally get on briefs like this, and who do you look at for inspiration when designing?

My main reason for getting in touch with yourself is because I wondered if you could spare a few  minutes of your time to answer a few questions regarding the design industry which will help myself and others when we graduate. It will also help towards research on something I am working on at the moment as part of my degree.

1. Do you think it is harder to get a job in the industry now compared to 5 years ago?
2. Do you think students are well prepared for the jump from university to the workplace?
3. What would set a student aside from everyone else? What skills would you look for?
4. How many placements, if any do you offer and for how long?
5. How many students do you get asking for jobs and placements?
6. Have you ever worked in London or considered moving to London? Would you suggest students move from their hometown to look for work?
7. Did you find it difficult to get a job after studying?
8. What advice would you give to a student regards getting a job after university?

I understand you are very busy but I would be extremely grateful to hear back from you.

Many thanks

Michele McKee
Ba Hons Graphic Design
Stockport College



Ady got back to me very quick to invite me into the studio for a chat about my questions.:


Hi Michele,

that's a big old email to answer, especially as I'm a drawer not a typer.

Happy for you to come in for half an hour next week and have a natter. That any use?

Ady



After a few emails back and forth  it was decided that I would go into meet with Ady next friday at 10am, I will also be taking in some of the designs I have been working on for my major project to get some feedback from himself.

I am extremely grateful for Ady getting back to me so quickly and look forward to meeting with him.


No comments: