Saturday 21 November 2009

Lin

Mine and Sarah's 2nd portfolio visit whilst in New York was at Lin, an agency ran by Alex who I had previously been in contact with.

Upon arrival we met with Alex who invited us into his small studio where himself and another designer worked. We sat down and once again both took it in turns to speak through our portfolio. This time I felt as though as I could speak through my work with a bit more ease as seeing Erin from Prime Studios a couple of hours prior to this had made me feel a bit more confident talking about my own work as well as feeling more confident about the work I had produced.

Similar to Erin, Alex didn't understand my end sting at first as it was something they had never come across before. Alex felt that seeing this idea on paper in the form of a storyboard was probably not the best way to execute the idea, I mentioned that it had been advised to place it on a TV screen and he felt this may work better, otherwise to maybe bring the animation along with the portfolio.

With some of the design work such as work for the 'Manchester literature festival' and 'A brief history of furniture' Alex felt that working with colour and changing the colours to create other poster variations would show that I have tried out other designs as well as bulking up all the work I had already produced. This was something Erin had also touched upon earlier in the morning.

For my fifteen types spreads it was suggested that maybe I re photograph these images and drop them onto live surface spreads like I had done for my British dental museum editorial spreads. By doing this it would look more professional as well as creating a bit more room on the page itself.

Alex paid compliments to my typography as he felt most students work he had seen don't pay much attention to final details. I feel typography is something I really enjoy working with and looking at so i'm glad that he picked up on this.

Alex liked the overall design of the portfolio and liked the idea of a book yet suggested making it slightly a bit bigger and maybe a different shape. On returning to college however I would like to buy a box to display my work in yet I will still take Alex's feedback on board.

After showing our portfolio's to Alex he spoke to us about design in New York and was interested to see how it compared to the industry in Manchester let alone the UK.

It was interesting meeting with Alex and I very much valued his feedback. I now know from my visit with himself and Erin from our previous visit what changes I need to make to my portfolio and I will consider these changes when designing my box.

No comments: