Saturday 21 November 2009

Prime Studios




Whilst in New York myself and another student from my course visited a design agency called Prime Studio. Prime studio is an integrated product and brand design consultancy which is dedicated to providing successful solutions for clients. They launched in 1998 and have experience in consumer products, house ware, personal ware and other numerous areas.

So on the 10th November myself and Sarah set off with our map in search of Prime Studio. Being in a strange city where we had no real sense of direction we made sure we gave ourselves plenty of time to find the studio, and it was quite suprisingly easy to find. 

On arrival we met with Erin Buchanan who Sarah had previously been in contact with. Erin was very friendly and welcomed us into Prime's small, very white, clean studio. Whilst their we spoke about our portfolios and their design work and also what we had been up to in New York. Overall I felt Erin was extremely impressed with the work both Sarah and I presented.

I was quite suprised by Erin's comments on my portfolio, some of my designs I didn't feel were personally very strong she actually loved. For example my end sting I produced for the Saatchi Gallery, she actually loved the concept. However, Erin advised me that it's not really clear what the end sting is also some of the storyboard boxes were quite small so that it was hard to identify what would actually be moving and changing throughout each box change. Erin thought that each change of the end sting would not be needed and I should maybe blow up to of the boxes larger and even place one of my designs in situe, for example in  TV screen. This was a thought I hadn't even considered yet will be one I will definitely try.

For the brief 'A brief history of furniture' Erin suggested showing other colour designs as I had only placed one in my portfolio. It was also suggested maybe adding in sketchbook designs to bulk up the work. By showing only one piece/ one final idea. It may come across to people that this particular piece only took a couple of hours to make where it actually took longer and more colours and designs were made before deciding on the final one. I thought this was a very good piece of advice.

Erin really liked my use of typography especially in my Fifteen Types spreads and my editorial for the British Dental Museum. Erin suggested changing the layout of my fifteen types spreads as I had placed both designs on the same page and this looked a bit cluttered, moving them onto 2 seperate pages would create more space and people would be able to spend more time paying attention to the typography.

The typeface I produced for the typography elective named 'A play thing' was percieved quite well, Erin liked the idea behind it and felt it was fun and interesting, to expand this project a bit it was suggested that I try and produce the alphabet in uppercase as well as lower case and maybe to try add colour into them, this would create a whole new type family and would again bulk up my portfolio.

Erin liked that my portfolio was set in a book and she also liked Sarah's box, these were ways of displaying our work in which she had never seen before as students normally take in folders. She also liked how my pictogram on the back cover of my portfolio as she felt this was an interesting way to identify ourselves and set us aside from every other student.

After we had spoke through our portfolios Erin showed us some work which Prime Studios had recently been working on, their ideas were very inspiring and well executed.

   

I came away from the visit feeling very positive about the feedback Erin had given us and I will definitely take her feedback on board when re producing my portfolio.

No comments: